Player positions – Team of 5 consisting of forwards, guards and 1 center.
Game Regulations and Scoring
• A game is divided into 2 20-minute halves or 4 8-minute quarters.
• A field goal (basket) is worth 2 points from inside the 3-point arc, 3 points from behind the
3-point arc, and 1 point if made during a penalty with free throw shot. The ball must travel
completely through the hoop to score.
• Play is initiated with a jump-ball between 2 opposing players. All other players must be outside
the center circle. Possession alternates each quarter or half for the rest of game.
• Possession changes within a quarter or half each time a basket is made.
• An offensive player cannot remain in the free throw lane for longer than 3 sec.
• A ball that goes out-of-bounds is awarded the opposite team of who touched it last.
• To move with the ball, a player must dribble with 1 hand at a time.
• An offensive player may take 2 steps while in possession of ball without dribbling.
• Extra play is used to determine a winner, when a tie score occurs at the end of a game.
Violation – a breach of the rules resulting in loss of ball or shots from the free throw line.
• Personal: a non-injurious personal foul such as pushing, tripping or charging.
o 1 Free Throw if occurring during a shot attempt, and basket was made.
o 2 Free Throws if occurring during a shot attempt, and basket was missed.
• Technical: a severe personal foul such as unsportsmanlike conduct.
The player is awarded 2 free throws and possession of the
ball after the penalty free throws.
• Assist – A pass that directly leads to a score
• Charging – Contact with a defender by the ball handler
• Fast Break – Moving the ball quickly up court to gain advantage
• Fouled out – Ejection from game due to excessive fouls
• Traveling – Taking > 2 steps with the ball without dribbling
• Weakside – Offensive side of court opposite the ball
Basic Skills & Tactics
• Give and Go
• Pick and Roll
• Team Offense
• Defense – P-2-P & Zone
THREE POINT LINE
FREE THROW LANE
FREE THROW LINE