Player positions – Team of 11 consisting of forwards, midfielders, defenders and 1 goalkeeper.
Game Regulations and Scoring
• A game is divided into 2 45-minute halves timed with a running clock. Time lost to game stoppage (e.g. injuries or substitutions) can be added to the end of each half.
• 1 point is awarded for a ball that passes over the goal line into the goal.
• A coin toss determines the 1st possession. The team starting on defense gets ball after half.
• Teams start in their own half of the field with the defense on the outside of the center circle. With ball placed on the center mark, teams pass the ball forward to initiate play. The player making the 1st pass cannot handle the ball again until it has been touched.
• Players may only use their feet, head or chest to play the ball. The exceptions are the use of throw-ins to restart play and the goalkeeper position.
• A ball is out of bounds when it crosses the endline or sideline completely. A player may go out of bounds in order to keep a ball in play.
• Games ending in a tie are decided by extra time play, then penalty goal shootouts.
Offside – Violation where an offensive player is closer to opponent’s goal line than the ball.
• Exceptions include: 1) a player is in their own half of the field, 2) 2 opponents are closer to their own goal line, and 3) ball is last touched by a defensive player.
Free Kick – The result of a foul or misconduct. 2 types of free kicks are direct and indirect.
• Direct: a kick that can score without touching another player; for serious personal fouls.
• Indirect: a kick that must be touched by another player before scoring; for technical fouls.
• May touch the ball with the hands/arms when inside of the penalty box area.
• Making contact or interfering with the goalkeeper in the goal box is prohibited.
• Throw-in – A restart from sideline using 2 hands overhead
• Corner Kick – A restart when ball crosses endline off D
• Obstruction – Using body to shield player from ball
• Goal Kick – A restart when ball crosses endline off O
• Marking – Playing defense on an opponent player
• Tackling – Taking ball away from offense with feet
Basic Skills & Tactics
The Field ENDLINE GOAL GOAL BOX HALFWAY LINE CENTER CIRCLE CORNER ARC PENALTY KICK MARK
• Give and Go
• Team Offense
• Defense – Mark & Zone